-
思澜小编 Chip in
Just for Fun
片段讲解秀
from:《蒙娜丽莎的微笑》
The four friends are chipping in for a bottle of wine for a party they’ve been invited to.
四人为一个晚餐宴会凑份子买酒当礼物。
Jerry: Come on. We’re all chipping in for wine.
来,我们凑份子去买葡萄酒吧。
George: I don’t even drink wine. I drink Pepsi.
我不喝葡萄酒,我只喝百事可乐。
Jerry: You can’t bring Pepsi.
我们总不能送人家一瓶可乐吧?
George: Why not?
为什么不能呢?
Jerry: Because we’re adults.
因为我们是成年人。
George: You’re telling me that wine is better than Pepsi? No way wine is better than Pepsi.
你在告诉我葡萄酒比可乐好吗?不,葡萄酒怎么也比不上可乐。
Jerry: I’ll tell ya, George, I don’t think we want to walk in there and put a big plastic jug of Pepsi in the middle of the table.
我告诉你,George,我认为我们不至于打算走进主人家门,把一大塑料瓶的百事可乐放在人家桌上。
George: I just don’t like the idea that any time there’s dinner invitation, there’s this annoying little chore that goes along with it.
我就是讨厌这些所谓的礼节。每次一有人请吃晚饭,就得四处买礼物啊什么的,好烦!
Jerry: Well, you’ve become quite a chore yourself.
我看你就够烦人的了!
俚语讲解:
chip in:to contribute money or labor凑钱,出力
chip-in: a gift that everyone contributes money toward凑份子买的礼物
eg: We all chipped in for beer.
我们凑钱买了啤酒。
eg: I can only afford to chip in a few dollars this time.
这次我只能出几美元。
扩展:
chip in also means to interrupt with comments or interject
chip in的另一个常用的意思是:“插嘴,打断”
eg:Lisa chipped in that it was nobody’s fault.
Lisa突然插嘴说谁都没错。
文化:
1. This expression comes from gambling: a chip is a small disk or counter used in poker and other games to represent money.
在赌博中,用一些小圆片作为筹码,代表钱数,由此chip引申为money。
2. Wine, flowers and candies are traditional gifts for the hostess of a dinner party.
被邀请去参加晚宴,出于礼节应送给女主人葡萄酒、鲜花、糖果等当礼物。